domingo, 28 de junio de 2009

fragmento de "Him Her Him Again The End of Him" de Patricia Marx

Es evidente porqué me llamó la atención esta parte de una novela que parecería "Sex and the City" meets el mundo de la academia.

I can't resist telling you now how much I detested Etienne. He and Obax were polar studies majors. His area was ice thickness; Obax didn't have an area. She thought Etienne was cute and he was - in a Peugeot bicycle kind of way. You'd think that I, of all people, would have been sympathetic to someone enthralled with a guy who nobody considered enthrall-worthy. You'd think, but you'd be wrong.
Soon after Obax met Etienne, she told me she had called her father in Somalia and said, "Daddy, I met the greatest guy and he has a dishwasher!"
"Obax," she said her father had said, "if you are dating a man because he has a dishwasher, I will fly to England and buy you one."
Obax did not tell her father that Etienne was militant about having sex with her three times a day. I don't know if you regard that as a good thing or a bad thing, but I know which side Obax's father would have been on.
Thanks to Etienne, I was morally opposed to marriage. He had todl Obax that the institution was "for seulement le petit bourgeoise." That sounded so smart I repeated it for years. For similar reasons, he was also against train schedules - "just becasuse it is when they go, it is when I go?"...

No hay comentarios: